Imbibe wasn’t all about imbibing at Olympia this week.
There was a serious amount of education , including excellent presentations on Wine Faults and Wine and food matching.
The main wine faults include –
1) Oxidation , which can cause the formation of
ACETALDEHYDES –sherry character
ETHYL-ACETATE-nail polish aroma
ACETIC ACID- vinegar nose
2) Reduction, from too little Oxygen –
poor nose ,cabbage unpleasant.
Also lack of Nitrogen stresses fermenting yeast resulting in Hydrogen Sulphide formation which can give rubber and rotten egg aromas.
3) IPMP (2 isopropyl 3 methoxy d3 pyrazine )
Green pepper/ capsicum aromas
4) Anisoles , flat dead wines ,cardboard .(As little as 1 Nanogram detectable!)
TBA from wood preservatives,pesticides
TCA and TeCA from microbes in the cork
5) Brettanomyces , Yeast can develop in barrels, which can produce
4Ethylphenol- dirty nappy,band aid horsebox aroma
4Ethylguaiacol-bacon ,spice,clove ,smoke ,leather aromas
6) Geosmin (Jos-min) earthy ,beetroot , aroma after rainfall on soil (petrichor)
A Terpene made by Streptomyces bacteria.
After a serious 45 minutes of information it was time for the real fun ..Absinthe , Creme de Cassis , Artisan beers , Pure Vodkas and general amazement of everything on display !
I recommend 2 days at Imbibe next year.